Sunday, 10 February 2013

Spring Bulbs

Plant this weekend for Spring like bulbs in 14 days


If you fancy giving the gift of new life at Christmas time, Spring bulbs are the perfect escape from the cold winter weather. Here is what I did to get these gifts all ready in time for Christmas...



Take a few small tea cups or expresso cups and a handful of Spring bulbs. Put a little grit, sand or small stones in the bottom for drainage and fill half way with compost. I used multi-purpose compost for this project.

I used three bulbs in each cup . The bulbs are muscari or crocus bulbs which are small so you can only fit a few in each. Cover with compost to the top and them water.

I sat these on a sunny window sill for seven days and they are now ready to give as gifts. Cover the soil with moss which you can buy from most garden centres and wrap in parcel paper or acetate florists wrap.

I love the idea that you are giving something that will grow and when the bulbs have finished they can be put in a pot for next year and the cup can be used from any thing from a pencil pot to a soap holder by the sink.

Enjoy making, growing and nuturing!